Job Title: HOURCAR Member Services Specialist
Job Status: Part-Time Permanent, Non-Exempt
Hours: 16 hours per week (8 hours Tuesday, 8 hours Wednesday)
Benefits: pro rata paid time off, 2% IRA contribution, transit stipend
Reports to: HOURCAR Member Services Manager
HOURCAR, the Twin Cities’ oldest and only non-profit car-sharing organization, seeks a person with high attention to detail and commitment to excellence in customer service to join HOURCAR’s very dedicated and endlessly quirky team as a Member Services Specialist. Members are the life blood of HOURCAR, and we work hard to provide reliable and exceptional customer service to everyone who drives with us.
The position is 16 hours per week, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. or 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. The days worked are unfortunately not flexible. The Member Services Specialist is invited to attend bimonthly full staff meetings on Thursday afternoons and would be compensated for attending, but is not required to be there, since the meeting falls outside of work hours.
As HOURCAR Member Services Specialist, you’ll help with a variety of day-to-day HOURCAR member services, including answering the member services phone during office hours, responding to e-mails from current and prospective members, and processing new member applications. You will also assist with billing tasks and monthly invoice preparation, and will help respond to urgent incidents. You’ll need to be a pro at giving good-humored support to folks who may be less than friendly back to you, and enjoy the challenge that is keeping a level head and being patient, kind and helpful to our members when they’re in stressful situations.
In this position, it is critical that you are able to multi-task. At a minimum it is required (after a training period) that you are able to be on the phone while also using our software to diagnose and resolve issues with members in real time. A very successful person in this position will be comfortable switching between 2-3 tasks at a time – starting one task while being prepared for the possibility that the phone will ring; answering phone calls/completing any necessary follow up, and then going back to the original task at hand. In the end, you will have completed both tasks accurately and thoroughly.
- Respond to inquiries from prospective and current members by email and over the phone.
- Assist in invoicing and billing as directed by the Member Services Manager. Ensure that all members are billed accurately.
- Handle the member application process. Review application information, check applicants’ driving records and gather additional information as needed.
- Communicate with HOURCAR members regarding urgent incidents as directed by the Member Services Manager.
- Suggest improvements to the HOURCAR service model, website, and other materials to enhance the member experience and improve member recruiting.
- Provide logistical support to HOURCAR fleet staff as needed.
- Work closely with other HOURCAR staff as part of the whole team, including respecting others’ identities and using their correct pronouns.
- High School diploma.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including correct grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service on the telephone, in writing, and in person.
- Very strong attention to detail.
- Accurate arithmetic calculation skills.
- Facility with computers, particularly Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- General familiarity with Twin Cities geography and neighborhoods. Detailed knowledge of Minneapolis and Saint Paul is a plus.
- Proven success working in a team setting.
Experience as a non-auto commuter and interest in a variety of transportation options are also highly valued assets in this position.
ADA Essential Requirements
- Frequent sitting for sustained periods of time. An adjustable sit/stand desk is available to provide the opportunity to stand while working at the computer.
- There may be occasional lifting of up to 10 pounds, and lifting of up to 20 pounds occurs rarely.
- Finger dexterity for typing is used constantly on a daily basis.
- Repetitive motion of using a computer mouse is used constantly on a daily basis.
- Talking and listening to customers on the phone happens frequently on a daily basis.
- Vision and hand-eye coordination to use computer programs are used constantly on a daily basis.
- This position requires memorization/concentration, learning/knowledge retention, the preparation and analysis of figures, the use of communication devices (primarily computer and phone), and reading on a daily basis.
- This position works mostly inside our office in Saint Paul. Our office and building are ADA-compliant.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume no later than 9:00 am on April 12, 2019. E-mailed applications are preferred at firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF format. Applications can be mailed to: HOURCAR, attn: Hiring, 755 Prior Ave N Suite 301D, Saint Paul MN 55104. No phone calls, please.
HOURCAR is an affirmative action, equal-opportunity employer. It is the policy of HOURCAR to hire without discrimination because of race, creed, religion, sex, color, national origin, sexual or affectional orientation, gender identity, ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance. Women and people of color are especially encouraged to apply.