Job Title: Operations Director
Job Status: Full time, exempt
Hours: Typically Monday-Friday (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) Occasional travel and evening/weekend work as needed.
Salary: $50,000-$60,000 DOE
HOURCAR is a nonprofit carsharing company in the Twin Cities, offering a fleet of 55 shared-use vehicles to its members through an online reservation system with 24/7 access at any of its 50 carsharing hubs. Over the next 18-24 months, HOURCAR plans to transition to a new all-electric carsharing service, with 150 electric vehicles supported by 70 mobility hubs with charging infrastructure. To assist with this transition, HOURCAR seeks candidates for a new Operations Director position. In order to allow the CEO to focus significant attention on outward-facing activities related to the EV project, the Operations Director will take the lead on all aspects of HOURCAR’s day-to-day operations. The Operations Director will work closely with the CEO to understand the organization’s vision and to ensure that operational priorities and projects align with HOURCAR’s overall goals. The Operations Director will supervise HOURCAR’s managers and work teams to ensure operational efficiency, accurate tracking and management of expenses, and effective project management. In the leadup to the launch of the EV project, the Operations Director will also have significant responsibility for implementing new projects and facilitating cross-team collaboration. The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of management experience, a nimble and entrepreneurial mindset, and a demonstrated commitment to making the world a better place through work or volunteerism in nonprofits, social enterprises, or socially-oriented businesses.
- Hire managers to fill vacant or newly-created positions, in consultation with HOURCAR’s CEO.
- Fire or lay off managers in accordance with HOURCAR’s employment policies, in consultation with HOURCAR’s CEO.
- Supervise HOURCAR’s manager team; hold regular one-on-one meetings with individual managers, and meet with managers collectively to ensure operational effectiveness and alignment with HOURCAR’s strategic goals.
- Perform annual reviews for managers and adjust compensation as appropriate in consultation with HOURCAR’s CEO.
- Regularly review key metrics, including location performance, revenue, member growth, and member satisfaction, and work with staff to ensure achievement of performance goals.
- Work with Member Services Manager to develop pricing structures that maximize utilization and revenue while minimizing excess fleet capacity.
- Work with Fleet Manager to maximize the utility of HOURCAR cleaning and maintenance bay and develop innovative processes to keep costs of cleaning and maintaining vehicles low.
- Work with Office Manager to ensure clear tracking and reporting of HOURCAR revenue and expense, and identify areas where operational expenses can be leveraged downward.
- Report regularly to HOURCAR’s CEO regarding HOURCAR’s operational performance and recommend changes to strategy and tactics as appropriate.
- Work closely with all HOURCAR staff as part of the whole team, including respecting others’ identities and using their correct pronouns.
- Take the lead on sale of vehicles scheduled for replacement and vehicle purchases and/or leases, in coordination with the CEO.
- Manage selection of major operations vendors, especially software and hardware vendors, ensuring an appropriate search and bidding processes are employed.
- Maintain effective working relationships with key vendors.
- Be the primary contact for vendors regarding system updates and outages pertaining to vehicle connectivity, the booking system and HOURCAR website.
- In coordination with the CEO, regularly assess performance of existing HOURCAR hubs in terms of usage and revenue.
- Identify underperforming hubs, recommend corrective action as appropriate, and recommend closure as necessary.
- Strategically reposition HOURCAR vehicles to maximize usage and revenue, while also prioritizing HOURCAR’s mission-based presence in identified “Increased Access” zones.
Assessment and Planning
- Implement strategies and tactics outlined in HOURCAR’s business plan, with a sharp focus on member acquisition, retention, and growth.
- Manage rate plans and implement pricing strategies to maximize revenue, in close partnership with the Member Services Manager.
- Oversee spending and track expense reports to ensure alignment with HOURCAR’s annual budget, in close partnership with the Office Manager. Implement cost saving measures wherever possible.
- Working closely with the Fleet Manager, use data analysis tools such as Excel and Tableau to assess operational performance and inform fleet and customer service priorities.
- Direct a collaborative goal-setting process with full operational team at regular intervals and/or as needed.
- Ensure operational goals are in line with overall program goals.
- In coordination with the CEO, set timelines and metrics measuring progress toward goals. Report to CEO on progress toward goals.
- Oversee HOURCAR’s task management system (Asana) and ensure that it is used effectively.
- Maintain list of current and upcoming operational projects. Prioritize projects based on operations and program goals.
- Facilitate selection of new projects, setting timelines and ensuring every project has a leader.
- Schedule and facilitate all staff meetings at least once per month.
- 3+ years of management experience; nonprofit sector, social enterprise, or shared mobility experience a plus.
- Track record of effectively leading teams and implementing data-driven decision-making; ability to point to specific examples of having implemented strategies to improve program performance.
- Demonstrated commitment to providing quality programs in a customer-driven environment.
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
- Collaborative leadership style and with the ability to hire and manage exceptional staff and develop high-performance teams.
- Experience successfully adhering to an operating budget.
- Solid verbal communication skills; able to successfully communicate HOURCAR’s mission and goals to HOURCAR staff.
- Ability to travel occasionally and work periodically on evenings and weekends if needed.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Experienced with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), and able to read and create spreadsheets using Excel formulas. Experience with Tableau software a plus.
ADA Essential Requirements
- Frequent sitting for sustained periods of time. An adjustable sit/stand desk is available to provide the opportunity to stand while working at the computer.
- There may be occasional lifting of up to 10 pounds, and lifting of up to 20 pounds occurs rarely.
- Finger dexterity for typing is used constantly on a daily basis.
- Repetitive motion of using a computer mouse is used constantly on a daily basis.
- Vision and hand-eye coordination to use computer programs are used constantly on a daily basis.
- This position requires memorization/concentration, learning/knowledge retention, the preparation and analysis of figures, the use of communication devices (primarily computer and phone), and reading on a daily basis.
- This position works mostly inside our office in Saint Paul. Our office and building are ADA-compliant.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume no later than 9:00 a.m. on May 24, 2019. E-mailed applications in PDF format are preferred at email@example.com. Applications can be mailed to:
755 Prior Ave N
Saint Paul MN 55104
No phone calls, please. HOURCAR is an affirmative action, equal-opportunity employer. It is the policy of HOURCAR to hire without discrimination because of race, creed, religion, sex, color, national origin, sexual or affectional orientation, gender identity, ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance. Women and people of color are especially encouraged to apply.