Job Title: Community Outreach Coordinator
Job Status: Full time, non-exempt
Hours: 40-hours per week
Salary: $30,000-$36,000 DOE
HOURCAR, in partnership with Xcel Energy and the Cities of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, is preparing for the launch of the Twin Cities EV Community Mobility Project. This new project will create a new all-electric carsharing service line in the Twin Cities, with 70 mobility hubs providing charging infrastructure for the project. 35 of these hubs will be located in ACP50 neighborhoods (areas of concentrated poverty, >50% people of color. The Community Engagement Coordinator will oversee an 18-month project to solicit community feedback on key project elements, solidify community support, and educate potential users about the benefits of the project. This position will champion community interests while facilitating communication between the community-based Steering Committee, HOURCAR, and other stakeholders. This is a 12-month grant-funded position, with continuation likely but dependent on funding for future project phases.
The Community Engagement Coordinator will work closely with HOURCAR’s CEO to convene a steering committee consisting of representatives from community-based organizations (CBOs) operating in impacted neighborhoods. The Coordinator will also plan and execute a series of focus group meetings to give residents of impacted neighborhoods a forum to voice concerns about this type of service operating in their neighborhoods, in order to better understand and mitigate potential negative impacts (e.g., gentrification). Information from the Steering Committee meetings and focus group gatherings will be used to plan for elements of the EV Community Mobility Project. The Coordinator will also strengthen existing community relationships and develop new ones, laying the groundwork for a successful launch of the project in mid-to-late 2020. This individual will play a central role in shaping program design. As such, we are looking for someone who is an excellent communicator and consensus builder with a track record on community outreach and community organizing, who understands the target community and knows how to communicate and interact with them, as well as understanding the importance of converting them into carshare members.
- Work with community-based organizations to develop a list of candidates for the Steering Committee, in consultation with HOURCAR’s CEO.
- Coordinate meetings of the Steering Committee, select and reserve venues, notify members and guests.
- Ensure good record-keeping and transmit records of meetings after the fact.
- Take the lead on communication with Steering Committee members regarding all aspects of the project.
- Select venues for focus group meetings.
- Arrange for food and/or other incentives to be delivered.
- Work with CBOs to promote focus group gatherings to target communities and ensure good attendance.
- Plan engaging activities that give ample opportunity for input and feedback on the new project.
- Collect information gathered at focus group gatherings and transmit to Steering Committee.
- Engage with key stakeholders from underserved communities, including business associations, CBOs, and other community institutions.
- Increase shared understanding of transportation needs and barriers.
- Determine the assets and opportunities these communities bring to the project.
- Identify strategies for overcoming or mitigating barriers to enrollment and usage of future service.
- Work closely with all HOURCAR staff as part of the whole team, including respecting others’ identities and using their correct pronouns.
- Completed high school or equivalent education.
- Committed to the mission and values of HOURCAR
- Background in community organizing or previous experience working in community-based organizations
- Demonstrated connection to and relationships within one or more of the neighborhoods where the service is planned to operate
- Bilingual a plus but not required
- Excellent time management skills
- Must have a flexible schedule and ability to work on evenings and weekends
- Team player, able to follow directions
- Demonstrated creativity and initiative in similar projects
- Possess clean driving record with at least 3 years of licensed driving.
- Knowledge of Twin Cities neighborhoods and ability to read a map and interpret directions.
- Ability to lift at least 35 pounds.
ADA Essential Requirements
- Frequent sitting for sustained periods of time. An adjustable sit/stand desk is available to provide the opportunity to stand while working at the computer.
- There may be occasional lifting of up to 10 pounds, and lifting of up to 20 pounds occurs rarely.
- Finger dexterity for typing is used constantly on a daily basis.
- Repetitive motion of using a computer mouse is used constantly on a daily basis.
- Vision and hand-eye coordination to use computer programs are used constantly on a daily basis.
- This position requires memorization/concentration, learning/knowledge retention, the preparation and analysis of figures, the use of communication devices (primarily computer and phone), and reading on a daily basis.
- This position works mostly inside our office in Saint Paul. Our office and building are ADA-compliant.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume no later than 9:00 a.m. on May 24, 2019. E-mailed applications in PDF format are preferred at email@example.com. Applications can be mailed to:
755 Prior Ave N
Saint Paul MN 55104
No phone calls, please. HOURCAR is an affirmative action, equal-opportunity employer. It is the policy of HOURCAR to hire without discrimination because of race, creed, religion, sex, color, national origin, sexual or affectional orientation, gender identity, ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance. Women and people of color are especially encouraged to apply.