HOURCAR, the Twin Cities’ oldest and only non-profit car-sharing organization, seeks a person with high attention to detail and commitment to excellence in customer service to join HOURCAR’s very dedicated and endlessly quirky team as a full-time Member Services Specialist, Weekend On-Call. Members are the life blood of HOURCAR, and we work hard to provide reliable and exceptional customer service to everyone who drives with us.
This position works full time, between 32-40 hours per week, paid at $15/hour. Full-time positions at HOURCAR include an 2% employer SIMPLE IRA contribution, health and dental benefits, HSA account, transit stipend, and long-term disability and life insurance. There is enormous potential to grow with this organization.
This position is two-pronged, which makes this posting look quite long. It’s not as messy as it might seem – we are attempting to provide you with a clear description of all of the facets of the job, so if you’re interested, stick with us!
As HOURCAR Member Services Specialist and Weekend On-Call, you will provide both in-office and on-call support to HOURCAR members. You will work 24 hours in the HOURCAR office during the work week. Eight hours are expected on both Mondays and Fridays; the remaining eight hours can be worked on one day or divided over two depending on individual desires and staffing balance in the office. While in the office, you’ll conduct a variety of day-to-day HOURCAR member services duties, including answering the member services phone during office hours, responding to e-mails from current and prospective members, and processing new member applications. You’ll need to be a pro at giving good-humored support to folks who may be less than friendly back to you, and enjoy the challenge that is keeping a level head and being patient, kind and helpful to our members when they’re in stressful situations.
The Member Services Specialist and Weekend-On Call will serve as HOURCAR’s weekend on-call member services staff, covering the hours of 5 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Monday through a combination of on-call availability and dedicated weekend office hours. During this period, when you are not holding office hours, you will need to be available to respond to incidents escalated by our local call center, trouble-shoot with members, and monitor the email and reservation systems to prevent problems. Occasional in-person response to urgent issues may be required. Weekend office hours will be held Saturday and Sunday, either 9:00 am – 1:00 pm or 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. Weekend office hours will be set upon hire, and once set weekend office hours remain fixed. During weekend office hours, you will work on your own to follow up on incidents that took place overnight, coordinate additional response to any urgent incidents, and conduct general member services duties to keep things running smoothly until the following day.
Still with us? Awesome! Here’s an example of what your work week might look like:
M: 8 hours in the office, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
T: off (flexible between T/W/Th)
W: off (flexible between T/W/Th)
Th: 8 hours in the office (flexible between T/W/Th)
F: 8 hours in the office, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
5 pm Friday- 9 am Monday: on-call availability and weekend office hours
While on call:
• Receive about 1-3 phone calls over the course of a day escalated by our call center. Most questions can be handled over the phone and come between 9 am – 9 pm. Calls requiring an immediate in-the-field response are rare (approximately 2-3 times per month) and middle-of-the-night calls are relatively rare.
• Check e-mail inbox at minimum 3 times per day, respond to urgent notes that come in.
• Total amount of work over the on-call portion of the shift: usually 1-2 hours per day
While holding weekend office hours:
• Follow up on incidents that took place overnight, coordinate additional response to any urgent incidents, and conduct general member services duties to keep things running smoothly until the following day.
If you were filling out your timecard for that week, you would be compensated for:
• 32 hours worked in the office
• 7 on-call shifts (8-hour periods starting at 5 pm Friday and ending at 9 am Monday) @ 1 hour of wage per 8-hour shift
• All hours worked for in person on-call responses on the weekend (approximately 1-2 hours per weekend)
Now that you know what the time commitments are, here’s what the position looks like:
A significant portion of this position involves working collaboratively with the entire Member Services team, under the direction of the Senior Membership Development and Technology Manager. Daily/weekly goals and tasks will be identified collaboratively with the entire Member Services team. Longer term goals and tasks will be identified collaboratively with the entire Member Services team, under the direction of the Senior Membership Development and Technology Manager. When working weekend hours, it is important that you can work independently.
In this position, it is critical that you are a self-starter who is able to multi-task. At a minimum it is required (after a training period) that you are able to be on the phone while also using our software to diagnose and resolve issues with members in real time. A very successful person in this position will be comfortable switching between 2-3 tasks at a time – starting one task while being prepared for the possibility that the phone will ring; answering phone calls/completing any necessary follow up, and then going back to the original task at hand. In the end, you will have completed both tasks accurately and thoroughly.
After a training period, the Member Services Specialist will have the option to have one weekend off per month. This will not be paid time off, but these hours may be made up by coming in during the work week on the days you normally have off if you choose. You will also have the option to be scheduled into our paid evening on-call rotation. Evening on-call consists of four nights (Monday through Thursday) about once every 5 weeks. During this time you need to be available to answer urgent calls forwarded by our call center between 5 PM and 9 AM, including possible field response.
- Serve with the HOURCAR member services team remotely, and when safe to do so, in the office by responding to member and prospective member inquires via email and phone, processing new member applications, and assisting with general member services as directed
- Staff weekend office hours on Saturdays and Sundays. Follow up on incidents that took place overnight, coordinate additional response to any urgent incidents, and conduct general member services duties, including responding to phone and email inquiries, to keep things running smoothly until office hours the following day.
- Serve as on-call staff person during assigned weekend hours.
- While on- call, periodically monitor HOURCAR’s reservation system and email inbox to identify and prevent problems.
- Respond to emergency calls and provide troubleshooting and customer service to members who encounter significant problems during their reservations. Must carry a cell phone at all times while on-call and answer calls promptly.
- Deal swiftly with minor fleet issues, such as jump-starting vehicles, as needed and based on HOURCAR’s safety protocols. Coordinate follow-up on more significant fleet issues with HOURCAR fleet staff.
- Provide logistical support to HOURCAR fleet staff as needed.
- Suggest improvements to the HOURCAR service model, website, and other materials to enhance the member experience and improve member recruiting.
- Actively participate with the HOURCAR team to continually make our service the best it can be.
- Work closely with other HOURCAR staff as part of the whole team, including respecting others’ identities and using their correct pronouns, and respecting everyone’s different styles of learning and interacting!
• A high school diploma.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including appropriate grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
• Accurate arithmetic calculation skills.
• Very strong attention to detail.
• Initiative on projects and agency to say “here’s what I want to do this week”.
• Demonstrated excellence in customer service on the telephone, in writing, and in person.
• The ability to prioritize between multiple projects and daily tasks, and the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• General familiarity with Twin Cities geography and neighborhoods – detailed knowledge of Minneapolis and Saint Paul is a plus
• Knowledge of a variety of transit options; experience as a non-auto commuter is a highly valued asset in this position
• Clear, open communication
• Able to work independently with minimal oversight.
• For the near future, comfortable working remotely, with regular team check-ins.
• Able to advocate for your needs and working style, including asking for help when you need it and being willing to work to resolve disagreements productively
• Once it is safe to resume in-person work, comfortable working in an office that can sometimes have three people on the phone at once while the coffee grinder is running, someone shouting questions across the room at you, and the Ameripride delivery guy talking to your colleague about hockey.
• Able to assess the urgency of emergent situations, and see the situation through from emergent to in-process to resolved while remaining calm and not letting things slip through the cracks.
• Able to remain calm and collected during periods of high call volume and/or customer demand with the understanding that it is temporary (i.e. can work in a high-stress environment when **** hits the fan and still be okay).
• Either very process-oriented and delight in routine, or have the ability and willingness to follow multi-step processes with the aid of a checklist.
• Comfortable working in MS office suite, with heavy emphasis on Excel as a tracking mechanism and frequent communications via Teams chat.
• Comfortable with learning new software systems and their corresponding policies and procedures.
• Appreciation of pet pictures and memes.
• Knowledge of Star Trek, 1D, D&D, and/or a willingness to discuss Guy Fieri’s contributions to the modern era of camp fashion a plus.
• Experience as a non-auto commuter and interest in a variety of transportation options, which are highly valued assets in this position.
ADA Essential Requirements:
• Frequent sitting for sustained periods of time. An adjustable sit/stand desk is available when in the office to provide the opportunity to stand while working at the computer.
• There may be occasional lifting of up to 10 pounds, and lifting of up to 20 pounds occurs rarely.
• Finger dexterity for typing is used constantly on a daily basis.
• Repetitive motion of using a computer mouse is used constantly on a daily basis.
• Talking and listening to customers on the phone happens frequently on a daily basis.
• Vision and hand-eye coordination to use computer programs are used constantly on a daily basis.
• This position requires memorization/concentration, learning/knowledge retention, the preparation and analysis of figures, the use of communication devices (primarily computer and phone), and reading on a daily basis.
• This position currently works remotely. When it is safe to resume in-person work, this position works mostly inside our office in Saint Paul. Our office and building are ADA-compliant.
If you made it all the way through, you definitely should apply. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received. Please e-mail resumes to email@example.com. No phone calls, please! Thank you!
HOURCAR is an affirmative action, equal-opportunity employer. It is the policy of HOURCAR to hire without discrimination because of race, creed, religion, sex, color, national origin, sexual or affectional orientation, gender identity, ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance. Women, BIPOC and GLBTQIA+ folks are strongly encouraged to apply.