We’re very excited to be updating our reservation and in-car technology for the first time in several years, and we have more details to share with you!
We told you earlier about some of the new features you’ve been asking for, such as stopover pricing and simplified rates at better price points – read that full announcement here. We’ve also launched our New Software FAQ page! This will be the fastest way to get answers to any questions you may have.
Please take some time to review this information carefully! There’s a lot of good changes coming, and the core of your membership is staying the same – you‘ll still pay a membership fee, reserve a car online or by calling us, and we’ll continue to always be here for you 24 hours a day with live support.
Technology Switch Timeline
We’ll be taking a phased approach to installing the technology throughout the month of January, which will affect vehicle availability. We’ll start installing the new technology on January 11th, starting with vehicles at multi-car hubs, areas with multiple hubs serving them, and low use hubs to minimize the disruption to service.
From January 25th – February 1st, 2021, our entire fleet will be offline and unavailable for reservations and the office will be closed for the technology switch. We’ll be back online February 1st, 2021 with over half the fleet available, and more cars will be converted every day until the whole fleet is on the new system!
Pre-Registering your Account
In order to ensure a smooth transfer between systems, we will be enabling a pre-registration window beginning January 18th, 2021 – February 14th, 2021. We encourage you to pre-register sooner rather than later, especially if you plan to make a reservation within the first couple weeks of February 2021.
Since the service will be looking a little different than normal during the transition period, we’re waiving all membership fees for the month of January.
Because our invoices post-date, you’ll see a charge for December’s membership in the Invers system on January 16th, 2021, and then nothing for January. Instead, we’ll set-up the new system for February 1st, 2021 and you’ll pay in real-time (if you buy a membership on February 1st, 2021 then that covers you for a month, on March 1st, 2021 your membership will auto-renew again.
We are not accepting new applications in January.
Membership fees will also look a little different in the new service – there’s no longer an option for an annual plan. Based on feedback provided in the member survey, we will be prorating the remainder of your annual plan and applying it to your new account as driving credit. We also heard you on the credit match-back – the monthly membership fees in the new system will be matched back as driving credit for all accounts.
If you drive on a business account, you will be able to toggle between a business and a personal profile in the app. We’ll send more information to your account admin shortly, including additional information about exporting invoices for your records, transferring reservations to the new system, and important dates.
Household accounts will not be available in the new system, so each member of your household will have to pre-register for their own individual account on January 18th. There are some new benefits in the new system that we hope makes up for it!
- We’re matching membership fees back as driving credit in order to provide the cost savings of a shared membership
- You will only have access to view invoices for your trips, but you and the other members of your household account can still register the same credit or debit card to your individual accounts so that your trips and membership fees are still charged to the same place.
Reminder that Member Rewards will also be paused starting in December, resuming in March!
Our new system doesn’t support access to reservations via AWID fob. Instead, you will be able to access your trips via the app. If you’d like to link a Metro Transit GoTo card to your account to serve as a backup access method, please let us know your card’s serial number. If you don’t currently have a Metro Transit GoTo card and would like us to send you one, please fill out this brief form.
Billing & Invoices
All of our current and legacy plans are going away in this new system, and we think you’re going to like the new rate plans! Please be prepared to choose a new plan when pre-registration opens on January 18th, 2021.
Full details of the new rate plans will be out in late December, and here’s what we can share in the meantime:
- We will only have monthly membership billing and will match back membership fees in driving credits on all plans.
- We are moving the annual damage fee waiver enrollment to a $5 monthly damage fee waiver. Here are the details:
- If you are already enrolled in the Damage Fee Waiver, we will prorate the remainder of your existing waiver and credit any remaining balance to your account in the new system.
- To simplify billing, in the new system the damage fee waiver will be bundled in with membership fees. This will be called the “Plus” option, and more details will be released late December
- If at any point you wish to opt-out of the damage fee waiver program, you can choose to enroll in the standard plan for that month.
- Terms of coverage have not changed. If you are in an at-fault damage incident during a month in which you have paid the $5 waiver, you will not be required to pay the at-fault damage fee of up to $2,000. In this scenario, you will be able to purchase coverage for the remainder of the month for an additional $5.
- If you’d like to have a record of any of your recent invoices, we encourage you to download invoices from your account summary page before January 18th, 2021.
If you have an upcoming reservation beyond February 1st, 2021, we will automatically transfer it to the new system for you.
If you’d like to make a reservation in the new system for February 1st - 5th, 2021, please complete this quick form . Reservations will be made on a first-come, first-serve basis. We’ll let you know if your reservation is unable to be scheduled.
Thank you for taking the time to read this information and help us make our software transition go smoothly! You can keep up to date on the latest software transition news on our New Software FAQ page, and as always, we’re here to help!
HOURCAR Member Services