HOURCAR, the Twin Cities’ oldest and only non-profit carsharing organization, seeks a person with high attention to detail and commitment to excellence in customer service to join HOURCAR’s very dedicated and endlessly quirky team as a full-time Afternoon and Evening Member Services Specialist, and Weekend On-Call Back-Up.
Members are the life blood of HOURCAR, and we work hard to provide reliable and exceptional customer service to everyone who drives with us. You’ll be joining HOURCAR at a time of major transition, as we just implemented new technology and software in preparation for the launch of our EV network. Expect a dynamic workplace as we adjust our operations to the new system.
Do you have:
- A high school diploma?
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including appropriate grammar, punctuation, and spelling?
- Accurate math skills?
- Very strong attention to detail?
- Initiative on projects and agency to say “here’s what I want to do this week”?
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service on the telephone, in writing, and in person?
- The ability to prioritize between multiple projects and daily tasks, and the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines?
- General familiarity with Twin Cities geography and neighborhoods?
- A clear, open communication style?
You should also be:
- Able to work independently with minimal oversight.
- For the near future, comfortable working remotely, with regular team check-ins.
- Able to advocate for your needs and working style, including asking for help when you need it and being willing to work to resolve disagreements productively.
- Once it is safe to resume in-person work, comfortable working in an office that can sometimes have three people on the phone at once while the coffee grinder is running, someone shouting questions across the room at you, and the Ameripride delivery guy talking to your colleague about hockey.
- Able to assess the urgency of emergent situations and see the situation through to resolution while remaining calm and not letting things slip through the cracks.
- Able to remain cool and collected during periods of high call volume and/or customer demand with the understanding that it is temporary (i.e. can work in a high-stress environment when **** hits the fan and still be okay).
- Either very process-oriented and delight in routine, or have the ability and willingness to follow multi-step processes with the aid of a checklist.
- Comfortable working in MS office suite and MS 365, with heavy emphasis on Excel as a tracking mechanism and frequent communications via Teams chat.
- Comfortable with learning new software systems and their corresponding policies and procedures.
- Respectful of the diversity of humanity. We have no time for racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, fatphobia, ableism, or ageism, and neither should you!
Bonus if you:
- Have an appreciation of pet pictures and memes.
- Are looking for a workplace that values you as a person first, and wants to support your mental well-being as well as job performance.
- Have experience as a non-auto commuter and interest in a variety of transportation options, which are highly valued assets in this position.
- Know the Twin Cities like the back of your hand.
Note on Qualifications:
Studies show that women, non-binary people, and people of color will typically only apply for a job if they meet 90-100% of the criteria listed. We would like to encourage everyone who is interested and feel they meet the majority of key qualifications to apply. You’re probably much more qualified than you think you are!
Sound like a good fit? Read on!
(We know this part is long, but trust us: once you read it, you’ll know what the job’s all about!)
As HOURCAR Member Services Specialist, you will provide both in-office and on-call support to HOURCAR members. You will work 32 hours in the HOURCAR office during the work week. It is expected that you will work from 12 pm – 8 pm OR 11 am – 7 pm for 4 days a week., but within those parameters, the days and hours worked can be flexible based on individual desires and staffing balance in the office. While in the office, you’ll conduct a variety of day-to-day HOURCAR member services duties, including answering the member services phone during office hours, responding to e-mails from current and prospective members, and processing new member applications. You’ll need to be a pro at giving good-humored support to folks who may be less than friendly back to you, and enjoy the challenge that is keeping a level head and being patient, kind and helpful to our members when they’re in stressful situations. The job will involve a lot of autonomy and working independently as well as with the team, as you’ll be working on your own after 5pm.
The Member Services Specialist – Evenings and Weekend On-Call Back-Up will serve as back-up to HOURCAR’s weekend on-call member services staff, no more than one weekend a month. This weekend on-call covers the hours of 5 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Monday through a combination of on-call availability and dedicated weekend office hours. During this period, when you are not holding office hours, you will need to be available to respond to incidents escalated by our local call center, trouble-shoot with members, and monitor the email and reservation systems to prevent problems. Occasional in-person response to urgent issues may be required. Weekend office hours will be held Saturday and Sunday, in 4 hour blocks each day. During weekend office hours, you will work on your own to follow up on incidents that took place overnight, coordinate additional response to any urgent incidents, and conduct general member services duties to keep things running smoothly until the following day.
A typical week on the job as Member Services Specialist – Evenings and Weekend On-Call Back-Up would look like this:
M-Th (or T-Fri): 8 hours in the office, 12 pm – 8 pm OR 11 am – 7 pm
One week a month, you’ll also serve as Weekend On-Call. Weekend On-call Schedule would look like this:
5 pm Friday- 9 am Monday: on-call availability and weekend office hours
5 pm Friday- 10 am Saturday: on-call
10 am Saturday – 2 pm Saturday: office hours
2 pm Saturday – 1 pm Sunday: on-call
1 pm Sunday – 5 pm Sunday: office hours
5 pm Sunday – 9 am Monday: on-call
9 am Monday: weekend on-call ends, weekday work begins
While on call:
- Receive about 1-3 phone calls over the course of a day escalated by our call center. Most questions can be handled over the phone and come between 9 am – 9 pm. Calls requiring an immediate in-the-field response are rare (approximately 2-3 times per month) and middle-of-the-night calls are relatively rare.
- Check e-mail inbox and online reservation system at minimum 3 times per day, respond to urgent tickets that come in.
Total amount of work over the on-call portion of the shift: usually 1-2 hours per day, with potential for more hours if dealing with emergent situations.
While holding weekend office hours:
- Follow up on incidents that took place overnight, coordinate additional response to any urgent incidents, and conduct general member services duties to keep things running smoothly until the following day.
If you were filling out your timecard for that week, you would be compensated for:
- 32 hours worked in the office
- 7 on-call shifts (8-hour periods starting at 5 pm Friday and ending at 9 am Monday) @ 1 hour of wage per 8-hour shift
- All hours worked for in person on-call responses on the weekend (approximately 1-2 hours per weekend)
A significant portion of this position involves working collaboratively with the entire Member Services team, under the direction of the Member Services Manager. The whole Member Services team works together to set daily and weekly goals; longer-term goals and tasks will be identified with the entire Member Services team, directed by the Member Services Manager. When working weekend hours, it is important that you can work independently on team goals/workflow, as well as making independent decisions and prioritizations based on what happens while on-call or in weekend office hours.
In this position, initiative-taking and multitasking are critical. At a minimum it is required (after a training period) that you can be on the phone while also using our software to diagnose and resolve issues with members in real time. A very successful person in this position will be comfortable switching between 2-3 tasks at a time – starting one task while being prepared for the possibility that the phone will ring, answering phone calls/completing any necessary follow up, and then going back to the original task at hand. In the end, you will have completed both tasks accurately and thoroughly.
You will have the option to be scheduled into our paid evening on-call rotation. Evening on-call consists of four nights (Monday through Thursday) about once every 5 weeks. During this time, you need to be available to answer urgent calls forwarded by our call center between 5 PM and 9 AM, including possible field response.
Here it all is in a nutshell:
1. Serve with the HOURCAR Member Services team remotely, and when safe to do so, in the office by:
a. Responding to member and prospective member inquires via email and phone
b. Processing new member applications
c. Assisting with general member services as directed.
- Staff weekend office hours on Saturdays and Sundays once a month. Follow up on incidents that took place overnight, coordinate additional response to any urgent incidents, and conduct general member services duties, including responding to phone and email inquiries, to keep things running smoothly until office hours the following day.
- Serve as on-call staff person during assigned weekend hours once a month. While on-call:
a. Periodically monitor HOURCAR’s reservation system and email inbox to identify and prevent problems.
b. Respond to emergency calls and provide troubleshooting and customer service to members who encounter significant problems during their reservations.
c. Answer all phone calls promptly. You must carry a cell phone on you at all times during on-your call hours.
d. Deal swiftly with minor fleet issues, such as jump-starting vehicles, as needed and based on HOURCAR’s safety protocols. Coordinate follow-up on more significant fleet issues with HOURCAR fleet staff.
- Provide logistical support to HOURCAR fleet staff as needed.
- Suggest improvements to the HOURCAR service model, website, and other materials to enhance the member experience and improve member recruiting.
- Actively participate with the HOURCAR team to continually make our service the best it can be.
- Work closely with other HOURCAR staff as part of the whole team, including respecting others’ identities and using their correct pronouns, adhering to any staff accommodation plans you’re made aware of, and respecting everyone’s different styles of learning and interacting!
- Able to actively examine any biases you may have regarding race, gender, income level, and English fluency in order to treat all our members with the same standards of care.Lastly, you can handle these physical requirements of the position:
- Frequent sitting for sustained periods of time. An adjustable sit/stand desk is available when in the office to provide the opportunity to stand while working at the computer.
- There may be occasional lifting of up to 10 pounds, and lifting of up to 20 pounds occurs rarely.
- Finger dexterity for typing is used constantly on a daily basis.
- Repetitive motion of using a computer mouse is used constantly on a daily basis.
- Talking and listening to customers on the phone happens frequently on a daily basis.
- Vision and hand-eye coordination to use computer programs are used constantly on a daily basis.
- This position requires memorization/concentration, learning/knowledge retention, the preparation and analysis of figures, the use of communication devices (primarily computer and phone), and reading on a daily basis.
This position currently works remotely. When it is safe to resume in-person work, this position works mostly inside our office in Saint Paul. Our office and building are ADA-compliant.
Pay and Benefits:
- $15 hour based on relevant experience
- Full-time employees are offered paid time off, 2% IRA contribution, transit stipend, HSA, health and dental insurance, Life & Long-Term Disability.
If this position has what you’re looking for, please come join us! Submit a resume and a cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will begin reviewing applications as they arrive. If you’re reading this posting, we are still reading applications! Women, GLBTQIA and BIPOC individuals are especially encouraged to apply.
HOURCAR is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. It is HOURCAR’s policy to hire without discrimination because of race, creed, religion, sex, color, national origin, sexual or affectional orientation, gender identity, ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance.